Thursday, September 3, 2009

Childhood Cancer Awareness Month

Every year, about 12,400 children and teens under the age of 20 are diagnosed with cancer - that is one in every 330 children. The average age of diagnosis is 5. Although cure rates are steadily increasing, 35% of children will die from a diagnosis of cancer.




Cancer remains the number one disease killer of children; more than genetic anomalies, cystic fibrosis, and AIDS combined.






This month is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month! I did not know this until I read this blog
http://littlewonders-heather.blogspot.com/ (which by the way I love) You just have to go and read about this family's fight. I was especially impressed with her words about childhood cancer. PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK AND READ THE POST!


If you know me very well at all you know that I am CANCER SURVIVOR! I was diagnosed with brain cancer when I was 10. I am so happy to be a survivor but can I tell you that not a day goes by that I do not think about cancer. Everytime I take my medicine (not every day mon, I will be better), everytime I see a bald child, everytime I hear the word "cancer" I think about my struggle with cancer. I am so grateful to be a survivor. I am thankful to the people, namely my family, which includes grandmas and grandpas, aunts and uncles, cousins, siblings, and my wonderful parents who assisted me down my "cancer chapter" of my life.



I am feeling much like Zoey's mother who wants to make a difference! I wish I knew the best way to do that I would love to volunteer and help kids going through cancer, work at a cancer facility, or something cool like that. This year I donated some $$$ to the Children’s Miracle Network Telethon but it does not seem like enough. I need to think of a great idea of something to do to help. If you have any ideas please let me know. :) I know that there are children suffering as I did, many who lose their very lives to this fight. Please stand with me and make a difference! :)
Because we have all been touched by cancer - if not personally then through family or friends here is a reminder of

What Cancer Cannot Do
by: Unknown

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit.


BECAUSE KIDS CAN'T FIGHT CANCER ALONE!






I thought these 2 videos were great if you have a minute - watch them :)





No comments:

Post a Comment